This is a fantastic video explaining how over time a business that is ‘sustainable’ and ‘environmental’ will double in value! Worth a view? Especially as you are obviously interested in having your business be more environmental.
Waste in any form, is bad for business. Quite simply; reducing waste, reduces cost which improves a business’s bottom line.
A carbon footprint helps to identify the waste or inefficiencies within a business in terms of energy and raw material consumption. With energy costs increasing and shortages of water and other natural resources predicted, this information is vital for a business to ensure informed decisions can be made to overcome such adversity.
Finding a major global company that hasn’t completed a carbon footprint is becoming a rarity. A global standard for carbon foot printing is the GHG protocol. It has set a global standard for how to measure, manage, and report greenhouse gas emissions. Within this protocol companies need to report scope 1 (direct) and scope 2 (indirect) emissions and are coming under increasing pressure to report their scope 3 (indirect) emissions as well. This has shifted the magnifying glass to companies supplying or using services or goods associated with these global companies. This means they are now interested not just in the quality of the service or product within their supply chain but also the effect it will on their carbon footprint.
Carbon foot printing is therefore not just for the big boys. It is for anyone who wants to play with them or even play with those who want to play with them. Put crudely, by carrying out a carbon footprint a business can increase its chances of being asked to play.
Carbon foot printing uses data already collected by a business, such as energy bills and travel expense claims and so does not have to be resource expensive. However, it is not just a tick box exercise that improves a business’s access to this all important group. As already mentioned it helps a business identify ways to reduce cost and risk. Also 92% of young employees prefer to work for organisations with “green” credentials and therefore such companies are able to attract talented individuals who are more likely to stay longer, reducing recruitment and resource costs1 price of tamiflu. In addition, if a business chooses to publish its carbon footprint, and even better have it verified, it can have a positive impact on its brand awareness.
Carbon footprinting has been around for a while now and may almost seem old school – but out of date it is not. Why? Put bluntly, it is simple to carry out yet provides a variety of plus’s all of which positively affect the bottom line of any business, big or small. Not hard to see therefore, why it has stood the test of time including times of economic hardship.
- Mattioli, Dana. How Going Green Draws Talent, Cuts Costs. The Wall Street Journal. November 13, 2007.
You are back in the classroom at secondary school with your test result. You got 88% and wow you are feeling good! What is it you did next? More often than not you would have leant over to your friend and asked them their score. Right?
From here it could have gone one of two ways. Either your score is higher or lower and that glorious feeling of triumph stays or is replaced with a less than positive feeling.
Benchmarking was recognized by the corporate world in the 1970s – but we all did it at school before we even knew it had a name, because it is instinctive.
So, you didn’t get the highest score and the teacher reminds you as you sulk out of the classroom that ‘mistakes are your friend’. You disagree, yet your teacher was right. As you mull over your test, later on that day, you get a much better idea of what you understand and what you don’t. What questions you should have answered quicker so you had more time on the more complicated ones, therefore reducing the risk of making silly mistakes and losing precious marks. You then, secretly, make a promise to yourself to get a better score than your friend next time! Your friend, on the other hand, who got top marks, has gone home feeling smug and decides to treat themselves to a chocolate bar and watch both home and away AND neighbours!
Within these joyful memories of school life lies the positives and negatives of modern day benchmarking within business.
The negatives can be when a company outperforms a benchmark and becomes complacent regardless of possible improvements. However, thankfully benchmarking is not just a score of how you are doing against your competitors, it allows your company to identify the opportunities that lie within your business based on real data. It gives a strong visual representation of what is working and helps to promote discussions regarding new ideas as well as to create enthusiasm to ‘do better next time’ by enabling realistic and achievable targets. But most importantly as your competitors learn new efficient practices creating leaner businesses, benchmarking can promote a mindset within your business of continuous improvement which is needed to prosper with those ever changing goals posts.
It must be said that perhaps this memory of school is just my own and when you got your test result you didn’t bother to see where about you came in your class and just ran out as quickly as you could read here. Interestingly if that is so, you are not alone, research by LNS1 showed that well over half of the companies that participated in their study have yet to carry out any benchmarking. Seems silly though, after all if you don’t measure it you can’t manage it and so if you measure it why not benchmark it!
Benchmarking it is a tool which allows your company to identify the opportunities that lie within your business based on real data. It gives a strong visual representation of what is working and helps to promote discussions regarding new ideas as well as to create enthusiasm to ‘do better next time’ by enabling realistic and achievable targets. In addition, as your competitors learn new efficient practices creating leaner businesses, benchmarking can promote a mindset within your business of continuous improvement vital for your company to continue to prosper with these ever changing goals posts. However, these are just words so let me back them up with some case studies.
Identify the opportunities that lie within your business based on real data.
Look up benchmarking and you come across the Xerox story. A big successful corporation who in the 1980s found itself increasingly vulnerable to competition. By benchmarking against its competitors, Xerox found many missed opportunities some of which included; it was taking double the time to get a product to market, five times the number of engineers, four times the number of design changes, and three times the design costs. Acting on these opportunities, highlighted by the benchmarking, resulted in overall customer satisfaction to be rated at more than 90% and country units improved sales from 152% to 328%.
Provides strong visual representation of what is working and helps to promote discussions regarding new ideas
A Watermark benchmarking tool was used to investigate water consumption at The University of Derby. By collating the data and comparing to a national benchmark even those who were initially hesitant over the project, being worried that it was just a big data gathering process, were on board and seeing immediate reductions in water use. By acting on the opportunities highlighted from this process, water consumption was reduced at the university by over 50% in just 5 months tamiflu 75 mg. Following this initial success, the scope of the project was increased with predicted potential savings of over £45,000 in annual water charges.
Create enthusiasm to ‘do better next time’ by enabling realistic and achievable targets.
Due to pressure on creating efficiency within supply chains, Klimasan, one of the biggest commercial refrigeration companies in Europe was asked to carry out a carbon footprint of their company. In addition, a benchmarking study was also carried out to enable a realistic and achievable carbon reduction target to be established. Not only was the target met, it was exceeded and Klimasan were named as best practice leader by Coca-cola and Heinken. They have not stopped there, as leading on from this success they are looking at ways to set a more ambitious plan for the future.
By accessing the Site and/or by submitting personal data manually or in electronic form to us, you give your consent that all personal data that you submit will be processed by us in the manner and for the purposes described below. By sharing information with us, we are able to provide an even better service to you. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
If you have any questions at all about this policy or the Site or about how we use and process your personal information, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or, alternatively, in writing to Compare Your Footprint Limited, Naereek, 7 Ferrymuir Lane, Edinburgh, EH30 9PA.
- Information collection and use
- We are committed to protecting the privacy of the users of our Site. We are the sole owner of the information collected on the Site. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others in ways different from those disclosed in this statement.
- We collect information from you at several different points on the Site. We use various analytic tools which track matters such as your use of the Site, the type of your device in use and location and length of time using the Site.
- The data we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination located outside the UK but within the European Economic Area (“EEA“). By providing information to the Site you expressly consent to such information being transferred or stored outside the UK but within the EEA.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and although we take all reasonable steps to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of it. Any transmission of personal data to the Site is at your own risk.
- We will only keep your personal data for as long as necessary to allow you to use the Site.
- If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
1.6.1 give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
1.6.2 receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices;
1.6.3 give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad; and
1.6.4 give consent to the processing of his/her personal information.
- Public (unregistered) users
We will not capture data about public (unregistered) users of the Site, other than your IP address and session details such as pages viewed and type of browser used. This information is automatically logged by the web server and will be used to evaluate the use and performance of the Site.
In order to use the Site, you must first complete the registration form and all details required in it. During registration you are required to give your contact information (such as name, email address, postcode, gender and password). This information is used to contact you about those services on the Site in which you have expressed an interest. It is optional for you to provide other personal information, but this is encouraged so we can provide a more personalised experience of the services available through the Site.
- We may share (whether or not for payment) aggregated demographic information with our partners and clients for marketing purposes. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
- We may also use such aggregated information and statistics for monitoring the Site usage in order to help us develop the Site and our services and may provide such aggregate information to third parties.
- A cookie is a piece of data stored on your hard drive containing information about you. Usage of a cookie is in no way linked to any personally identifiable information while on the Site. Once you close your browser, the cookie simply terminates. For instance, by setting a cookie on the Site, you would not have to log in a password more than once, thereby saving time while on the Site. If you reject the cookie, you may not be able to use every function of the Site. Cookies can also enable us to track and target your interests to enhance your experience of the Site.
- Information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, will be used to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. For example, we will be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer and provide you with specific tailored ads.
- Log files
We use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the Site and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
- Direct mailings
- We may send out newsletters, daily emails or alerts to you. We may also wish to provide you with information about special features of our Site or any other service or products we think may be of interest to you. This is an opt-in email option selected when you register to the Site. At any time you can alter your personal profile on the Site to disable any further emails.
- From time to time the Site may request information from you via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as postcode or age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use of and satisfaction with this Site.
- Data Protection
- We make every effort to ensure that our practices, procedures and systems comply with the relevant data protection legislation.
- We shall only use your personal data in accordance with the legal requirements, principles and best practice recommendations by current legislation, which grants you various rights in respect of the processing of your personal data.
- For more details about your rights regarding personal data, the rules we have to adhere to in collecting and storing your information, and how you can check your data records, please visit www.dataprotection.gov.uk.
- You have a right to receive a copy of the information we hold about you by sending your request in writing to us at Compare Your Footprint Limited, Naereek, 7 Ferrymuir Lane, Edinburgh, EH30 9PA.
- Updating/removal of personal information
- If any information regarding you requires to be corrected, updated or changed it is your responsibility to advise us of the required amendments. Please note an archive copy of any information provided to us may be retained by us for our records and for audit purposes.
- [You may change your preferences at any time or request that we stop sending you email communications by contacting us at [ ] [or logging in to your account at [insert details]]. There is also an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every email communication we send.]
If you have any questions at all about this policy or the Site, or about how we use and process your personal information, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or, alternatively, in writing to Compare Your Footprint Limited at Naereek, 7 Ferrymuir Lane, Edinburgh, EH30 9PA.
CONSIDER USE OF SERVICES/MATERIAL/SUPPORT
- Terms and Conditions of Website Use
- This page (together with the documents referred to on it) provides the terms and conditions upon which you may make use of the website made available and operated at www.compareyourfootprint.com (“our site”).
- Please read these terms and conditions of website use carefully before you start to use our site. These terms and conditions of website use are a legally binding document and create binding obligations upon you.
- By using our site, you accept these terms and conditions of website use and agree to abide by them. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions of website use, please do not use our site.
- Information about us
- Our site is made available and operated by Green Element Limited (“we”, “our”, “us”) and by other persons acting on our behalf.
- We are a company registered in England and Wales with company number 05386932 whose registered office is at 50-51 High Street, Wimbledon Village, London, SW19 5AX.
- Our site is a place for you to ascertain general information concerning the services and material we offer. Our site is a place for you to select and order services from us, and to view material made available by us or other persons using our site.
- Our site provides access to an online carbon footprint benchmarking service and other associated services (the “Business“).
- Our site is available only to persons and organisations that can form legally binding contracts under applicable law.
- You must be over eighteen (18) years old to use our site. If you cannot form legally binding contracts or you are under eighteen (18) years of age please leave our site now.
- Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the services (“Services”) and the material (“Material”) or any reports (“Reports“) made available upon or through it without notice. Unless explicitly stated to the contrary the supply or making available of any Services, Material or Reports shall be subject to these terms and conditions of website use.
- We reserve the right at our sole discretion to restrict access to some parts or all of our site by persons or organisations seeking to access our site.
- You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets all relevant technical specifications necessary to use our site and is compatible with our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through any facilities provided by you or over which you have control are aware of these terms and conditions of website use and that they comply with them.
- We have used reasonable endeavours to ensure that our site complies with UK laws. However, we make no representations that our site or the Services, Material or Reports are appropriate or available for viewing, access or use in locations outside of the UK. If you access our site from other locations you do so at your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with all laws applicable to such location. If viewing, accessing or using our site, the Services, Material or Reports is contrary to or infringes any applicable law in your place of access or place of residence, you are not authorised to view, access or use our site, the Services, Material or Reports and you must exit immediately. If making available the Services, Material or Reports in your place of access or place of residence or to you (by reason of nationality, residence or otherwise) is prohibited, the Services and Material are not made available to you. You accept that if you are resident outside of the UK, you must satisfy yourself that you are lawfully able to access our site, the Services, Material and Reports.
- WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS AND GIVE NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED THAT THE MAKING AVAILABLE OF OUR SITE, THE SERVICES, MATERIAL OR REPORTS IN ANY PARTICULAR TERRITORY OUTSIDE OF THE UK IS PERMITTED. WE EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF THE ACCESS OR ATTEMPTED ACCESS TO THE SERVICES OR ACCESS OR ATTEMPTED ACCESS TO OUR SITE OR THE MATERIAL OR REPORTS WHEN CONTRARY TO LAW AND/OR BY PERSONS WHO ARE CITIZENS, RESIDENTS OR NATIONALS OF COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE UK, OR WHO ARE NOMINEES OF OR TRUSTEES FOR CITIZENS, RESIDENTS OR NATIONALS OF COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE UK, AND WHO ARE RESTRICTED FROM ACCESSING OR ATTEMPTING TO ACCESS SERVICES OR WHO ARE RESTRICTED FROM ACCESSING OR ATTEMPTING TO ACCESS OUR SITE OR THE MATERIAL OR REPORTS.
- Availability and operation
- We shall use reasonable endeavours to ensure that our site and any Services or Material are available and that our site operates properly at all times.
- We may suspend the availability or operation of our site or the availability of any Services or Material on a temporary or indefinite basis as we may in our sole discretion determine.
- ALL WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES AS REGARDS THE AVAILABILITY OF OUR SITE AND THE AVAILABILITY OF ANY SERVICES, MATERIAL OR REPORTS, IN SO FAR AS THEY MAY BE EXCLUDED AND OTHER THAN AS EXPLICITLY SPECIFIED HEREUNDER, ARE EXCLUDED. WE EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF THE AVAILABILITY OF OUR SITE AND THE AVAILABILITY OF ANY SERVICES OR MATERIAL.
- Linking to our site
- You may link, or may procure that a third party acting on your behalf links, to the home page of our site from a website owned by you, provided that such link is provided in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish nor procure that any third party establishes a link to our site in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement of you or any entity which you represent by us without our explicit prior written consent.
- You must not establish nor procure that any third party establishes a link from any website that is not owned by you.
- You must not establish nor procure that any third party establishes a link to any page upon our site other than our home page.
- You must not frame nor procure that any third party frames our site on any other website.
- You must not stream nor aggregate content from our site within another website nor procure that any third party undertakes such activities.
- We reserve the right to withdraw our permission to link to our site without notice and for whatever reason as we may in our sole discretion determine.
- Links from our
- Where our site or any Material or Report contains a link to a site or resource provided by a third party (a “Third Party Site”), such a link is provided for the purposes of information and convenience only.
- The provision by us of a link to a Third Party Site does not represent any endorsement or recommendation by us in respect of that Third Party Site and does not mean that we have any association with that Third Party Site. We have no control over the contents of Third Party Sites.
- WE EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES ARISING OUT OF ANY USE OR INTERACTION BY YOU WITH THIRD PARTY SITES.
- Viruses, hacking and other offences
- You must not:
- misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful including that which may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate our systems, data or information;
- attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the servers on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site;
- use any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy our site, or use any device, software or routine to bypass our robot exclusion headers, or interfere or attempt to interfere, with our site;
- use an anonymising proxy to access our site;
- attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack;
- take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure, or that may cause us to lose any of the services from our service providers, including our internet or payment service providers; or
- do, or omit to do, or attempt to do or omit to do, any other act or thing which may interfere with the proper operation of our site.
- If you breach this clause we have the right to report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
- YOU ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT WE CANNOT AND DO NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT ANY MATERIAL OR REPORTS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOADING FROM OUR SITE OR SERVICES ACCESSIBLE THROUGH OUR SITE WILL BE FREE FROM INFECTION, VIRUSES AND/OR OTHER CODE THAT HAS CONTAMINATING OR DESTRUCTIVE PROPERTIES. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPLEMENTING SUFFICIENT PROCEDURES AND VIRUS CHECKS (INCLUDING ANTI-VIRUS AND OTHER SECURITY CHECKS) TO SATISFY YOUR PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS IN THIS RESPECT. WE EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF ANY DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO USE OF OR ACCESS TO OUR SITE, OR ANY SERVICES OR MATERIAL OR REPORTS.
- You must not:
- Accuracy, errors and reliance
- We shall use reasonable but commercially prudent endeavours to ensure that all Material is, and all Services are provided, free from material errors. Please note though that our site, the Services and the Material may contain inaccuracies or errors. You acknowledge that our site, the Services and the Material may not be free of errors and you agree that the existence of any errors shall not constitute a breach of these terms and conditions of website use. Except as expressly stated, we make no guarantees or warranties in respect of the accuracy of any Services or Material.
- Except where expressly stated otherwise, the Material and any Reports are general in nature and is not intended to amount to advice (relating to your own particular circumstances or otherwise) on which reliance should be placed. You undertake not to rely upon the Material. You undertake not to provide any Material to any third party with a view to that third party relying upon that Material
- We shall use data as provided by you and/or third parties in order to prepare any Reports, however we do not accept any liability whatsoever for any inaccuracies or errors in the data provided by any such third party.
- EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED WE EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES INCURRED RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF ANY INACCURACIES OR ERRORS WITHIN OUR SITE, THE SERVICES OR ANY MATERIAL, OR RELIANCE PLACED UPON ANY MATERIAL.
- ALL WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES IN RESPECT OF OUR SITE, THE SERVICES, MATERIAL OR REPORTS OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY SET OUT HEREUNDER ARE EXCLUDED IN SO FAR AS IS POSSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
- If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, login, password or any other piece of information enabling access to our site or any Services, Material or Reports, you must treat such information as confidential, and you must not disclose it to any third party.
- We reserve the right to disable any user identification code, login, password, or any other piece of information enabling access to our site or any Services, Material or Reports at any time, for such reason as we may in our sole discretion determine, including without limitation if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these terms and conditions of website use.
- You must immediately notify us if you have reason to believe any user identification code, login, password, or any other piece of information enabling access to our site or any Services, Material or Reports or provided by us to you has become known to any third party.
- Our intellectual property rights
- Our site, the Services, the Material and the Reports are protected by international copyright laws and other intellectual property rights.
- We are the owner of all intellectual property rights in the Services.
- Intellectual property rights in Material uploaded by users of our site (“Content”) remains held by those users (“Content Providers”). Notwithstanding the other terms of this agreement, Content Providers may deal in or with their Content as they wish. Otherwise intellectual property rights in Material are owned by us.
- Any intellectual property rights in our site, the Services and the Material are licensed not transferred to you, for the purposes expressly stated in these terms and conditions of website use and for no other purposes whatsoever, and always in accordance with these terms and conditions of website use.
- You must not:
- use or copy;
- disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, create derivative works based upon, extract elements from or reorganise;
- translate, merge, adapt, vary, modify or make alterations to; or
- distribute or licence rights in,
our site or any Material or Reports or any copies thereof other than as expressly stated hereunder.
- Our status or that of any identified contributors as the authors of the Material must always be acknowledged. Such acknowledgement must include the address of our site.
- Other than as explicitly specified hereunder nothing contained in these terms and conditions should be construed as granting by implication, estoppel, personal bar or otherwise any licence or right to use our site, the Material, any Reports or any intellectual property rights in any Services without our express written permission.
- You must not attempt in any way to remove or circumvent any technical protection measures applied to our site to prevent unauthorised use, copying or misappropriation thereof or of the intellectual property rights relating thereto, or apply, manufacture, import, distribute, sell, let for hire, offer, expose or advertise for sale for hire or have in your possession for private or commercial purposes, any means whose sole reasonable purpose is to facilitate the unauthorised removal or circumvention of such technical protection measures.
- Any intellectual property rights in the Reports shall be transferred to you upon full payment to us of the Price and you hereby grant to us an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty free, perpetual licence to use all data in connection with the Report in connection with the Business on an anonymised basis.
- Your rights of use
- You may use for the purposes for which they are supplied (but for no other purpose) any Service supplied to you provided you have paid to us the Price for that Service and provided that you have not breached these terms and conditions of website use.
- No other rights, permissions, consents or licences are granted in relation to our site, the Services or the Material other than as expressly set out in these terms and conditions of website use.
- Complaints regarding Material
- If you wish to complain about any Material, or Service, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then review the Material or Service. We shall in our sole discretion determine whether to remove the Material or Service from our site, or alter the Material or Service. If we decide to remove or alter the Material or Service, our removal or alteration shall not be an admission as to any fact or circumstance, or be deemed to be an acceptance of your complaint. We may or may not respond to your complaint.
- Please note that we do not moderate any forums, comments facilities, blogs, links or other content made available upon our site by third parties.
- Material you submit to our site
- By submitting material or information to or through our site you grant to us the right without limitation, on a perpetual and irrevocable basis, and without a requirement to pay to you any sums to use (for any purpose), copy, modify, adapt, create derivative works based upon, analyse, publish and disseminate, extract elements from and reorganise such information or material. You acknowledge that we may permit others to exercise these rights.
- By submitting information or material to or through our site you are guaranteeing that you have the right to grant to us the rights described in clause 1. If you are not able to grant to us these rights, please do not submit such information or material.
- In relation to any information or material submitted by you to or through our site you waive and undertake not to assert absolutely all moral rights arising under Chapter 4 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and, so far as is legally possible, any broadly equivalent rights you may have in any territory of the world, in such information or material.
- You warrant that any information or material submitted by you to or through our site shall:
- be accurate (where it states facts);
- be genuinely held (where it states opinions);
- comply with the law applicable in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted; and
- be relevant.
- You warrant that any information or material submitted by you to or through our site shall not:
- be defamatory of any person;
- be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- disclose the name, address, telephone, mobile or fax number, e-mail address or any other personal information in respect of any individual other than where you have the express permission of that individual to disclose such information and to allow such information to be used and made available subject to and in accordance with these terms and conditions of website use;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- be in contempt of court;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- advocate, promote, incite any third party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act; or
- contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.
- THE WARRANTIES PROVIDED FOR IN CLAUSE 4 AND CLAUSE 13.5 MUST BE COMPLIED WITH IN SPIRIT AS WELL AS TO THE LETTER. WE WILL DETERMINE, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, WHETHER ANY MATERIAL SUBMITTED BY YOU THROUGH OUR SITE BREACHES THESE WARRANTIES. YOU US INDEMNIFY AND SHALL KEEP US FULLY AND EFFECTIVELY INDEMNIFIED ON DEMAND FROM AND AGAINST ALL ACTIONS, CLAIMS, LOSSES, LIABILITY, PROCEEDINGS, DAMAGES, COSTS, EXPENSES, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION AND OTHER PECUNIARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS (INCLUDING LEGAL COSTS AND EXPENSES) SUFFERED OR INCURRED BY US AND ARISING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY OUT OF YOUR BREACH OF THESE WARRANTIES.
- Where information or material submitted to or through our site in our opinion breaches these terms and conditions of website use, we may at our sole discretion take all or any of the following actions:
- investigation of the identity of the person responsible for submitting such information or material and the circumstances surrounding the submission of such information or material, in respect of which you undertake to provide us with confirmation of your identity and any other information we may require in connection therewith and to cooperate with us fully;
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal or removal of the information or material or your ability to access to our site;
- issuing a warning to you;
- raising legal proceedings against you for recovery of all costs resulting from the breach;
- raising further legal action against you;
- disclosing such information to law enforcement authorities or relevant third parties as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law; or
- such other action as we reasonably deem appropriate.
- WE HEREBY EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF THE TAKING OF ALL AND ANY OF THE ACTION REFERRED TO IN CLAUSE 7.
- WE ALSO HEREBY EXCLUDE ALL LIAILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF ERRORS IN TERMS OF THE INFORMATION UPLOADED TO OUR SITE BY YOU.
- Purchase of Reports
- This clause sets out the procedure which must be completed by you in order for you to purchase any Reports from us through our site.
- Should you wish to place an order for any Report with us through our Site, you must register your details as set out from time to time on the Site.
- Once you have registered through the Site, you can complete the online form which needs to be completed in advance of ordering any Report. Once you have completed the online form, there will be a fee payable (“Price“) prior to you being able to access the Report.
- You must submit to us a request to purchase access to a Report (a “Purchase Request”). Purchase Requests constitute an offer by you to purchase from us the relevant level of access, in accordance with these terms and conditions of website use. We may refuse your Purchase Request for whatever reason we may in our sole discretion determine. Purchase Requests may be submitted only through the forms provided upon our site.
- The supply by us of a Report to you is conditional upon payment to us of the Price. Details concerning Prices are made available upon our site and confirmed to you within your Confirmation (hereinafter defined).
- Upon receipt of your Purchase Request we shall confirm receipt of such to you using online electronic means only. Within our confirmation we will confirm the amount of the Price payable by you. If the Price is acceptable you are required to indicate your acceptance by clicking upon the “I Accept” button provided within the body of our confirmation (your “Confirmation”). If the Price is not acceptable to you, you should not so indicate your acceptance. We reserve the right to limit the period during which our confirmations remain valid. If our confirmation expires before you provide your Confirmation you may be required to recommence the procedure provided for in this clause to purchase the relevant Services or access. The date upon which you accept our Confirmation shall be the date upon which a contract between you and us for the supply of Services and/or Material is concluded.
- Upon the provision of your Confirmation you will be forwarded to the website of our chosen payment services provider (the “Payment Website”) in order to remit to us the Price. You must remit the Price using the payment methods provided upon the Payment Website. You may not remit the Price to us using any other method.
- YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE PAYMENT WEBSITE IS A WEBSITE MADE AVAILABLE BY A THIRD PARTY AND AS SUCH WE DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER ITS OPERATION. WE EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS OR EXPENSES RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF OR INTERACTION WITH THE PAYMENT WEBSITE.
- In respect of the Payment Website you undertake and warrant:
- to abide by any terms and conditions relating to use of or interaction with the Payment Website;
- that any information submitted by you to the Payment Website will not be false, inaccurate or misleading; and
- not to engage or attempt to engage in any potentially fraudulent or unauthorised activity or any activity that does or may present a credit or fraud risk to us, the provider of the Payment Website or any third party.
- THE PRICE IS INCLUSIVE OF ALL APPLICABLE TAXES AND DUTIES DUE AND PAYABLE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM AS A RESULT OF THE PROVISION OF THE RELATED SERVICES OR MATERIAL BY US TO YOU. IF THE PROVISION OF SERVICES OR MATERIAL IN THE TERRITORY FROM WHICH YOU ACCESS OUR SITE GIVES RISE TO AN OBLIGATION TO REMIT ANY TAX, DUTY OR SIMILAR PAYMENT TO ANY AUTHORITY OTHER THAN THOSE AUTHORITIES RESIDENT IN THE UNITED KINGDOM YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SATISFYING SUCH LIABILITY. YOU INDEMNIFY US AND SHALL KEEP US FULLY AND EFFECTIVELY INDEMNIFIED ON DEMAND FROM AND AGAINST ALL SUCH LIABILITY.
- We reserve the right to request additional information from you in relation to your payment of the Price for any reasonable purpose, including to allow us to properly verify your identity, investigate alleged fraudulent activities and to allow us to comply with anti-money laundering obligations. You agree to comply with any request for further information as we reasonably require within such period as we may reasonably require. This may include, without limitation, requiring you to fax, email or otherwise send certain identification documents to us.
- You agree that your provision of information concerning the payment method chosen by you upon the Payment Website (your “Specified Payment Method”) through the Payment Website constitutes your authorisation to us and our service providers to collect (or procure the collection of) the Price using the Specified Payment Method. You acknowledge that once you have provided such authorisation, you will not be able to cancel such authorisation.
- You grant to us the right to resubmit (or procure the resubmission of) any payment made by you hereunder using your Specified Payment Method that is returned for insufficient or uncollected funds.
- You warrant that you have the authority and permission to provide details of the Specified Payment Method and to authorise and permit us to collect (or procure the collection of) the Price using the Specified Payment Method.
- We may review (or procure the review of) any information you submit through the Payment Website prior to collecting (or procuring the collection of) the Price using the Specified Payment Method. This review may be carried out for fraud prevention purposes. Following such review we may withhold or refrain from collecting (or procuring the collection of) the Price using the Specified Payment Method and cancel any arrangement for the supply of Services or Material between you and us, without liability to you. Any such review is not a representation by us as to your character or reputation.
- You consent to the providers of the Payment Website and your Specified Payment Website disclosing to us information concerning any payments made by you hereunder and details of your Specified Payment Method and our subsequent disclosure of this information in so far as may be necessary to enable us to properly and fully exercise our rights under these terms and conditions of website use.
- WHERE WE EXCLUDE LIABILITY UNDER THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WEBSITE USE, SUCH EXCLUSION SHALL INCLUDE, IN SO FAR AS IS PERMITTED UNDER LAW, ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, COSTS OR EXPENSES INCLUDING ANY LIABILITY FOR LOSS OF INCOME OR REVENUE, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS OR CONTRACTS, LOSS OF ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL, FAILURE OF TRANSMISSION, COMMUNICATION, COMPUTER OR OTHER FACILITIES, FAILURE, ERROR OR DELAY IN THE SENDING OF ANY NOTICE, COMMUNICATION OR INSTRUCTION VIA ANY MEDIUM WHATSOEVER, WASTED MANAGEMENT OR OFFICE TIME, AND FOR ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, HOWEVER ARISING AND WHETHER CAUSED BY DELICT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
- IN RESPECT OF PAID FOR SERVICES OR MATERIL IF WE ARE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY REASON, OUR LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT OF THE PRICE PAID BY YOU.
- THE EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY HEREUNDER DO NOT AFFECT OUR LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY ARISING FROM OUR NEGLIGENCE, NOR OUR LIABILITY FOR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION, NOR ANY OTHER LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
- You may not transfer or otherwise dispose of any of your rights or obligations arising under these terms and conditions of website use without our prior written consent.
- We may sublicence, rent, lease, transfer, assign, charge, sub-contract or otherwise dispose of any of our rights or obligations arising under these terms and conditions of website use at any time.
- If you breach any of these terms and conditions of website use, all of your rights under these terms and conditions including your right to use our site, the Services and the Material will cease immediately.
- If we have reason to believe that you have breached these terms and conditions of website use or are likely to breach these terms and conditions of website use we may take action to protect ourselves, our service providers and third parties from liability, including but not limited to contacting relevant third parties and disclosing information collected from you.
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL LOSSES, COSTS, EXPENSES, CLAIMS, DEMANDS OR OTHER LIABILITIES (INCLUDING LEGAL FEES) INCURRED BY US, OUR SERVICE PROVIDERS OR ANY THIRD PARTIES CAUSED BY OR ARISING FROM YOUR BREACH OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WEBSITE USE. YOU INDEMNIFY US AND SHALL KEEP US FULLY AND EFFECTIVELY INDEMNIFIED ON DEMAND FROM AND AGAINST ALL ACTIONS, CLAIMS, LOSSES, LIABILITY, PROCEEDINGS, DAMAGES, COSTS, EXPENSES, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS ARISING FROM BUSINESS INTERRUPTION AND OTHER LOSS (INCLUDING LEGAL COSTS AND EXPENSES) SUFFERED OR INCURRED BY US AND ARISING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY OUT OF YOUR BREACH OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WEBSITE USE.
- Circumstances beyond our control
- We will not be liable for any failure to perform any obligation under these terms and conditions of website use due to causes beyond our reasonable control.
- These terms and conditions of website use do not confer any rights on any person other than you and us.
- We may change the Services or Material at any time.
- Any Material may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update any Material.
- Where we have supplied Services to you the version of these terms and conditions of website se effective as of the date of your Confirmation shall govern such supply.
If we fail at any time to insist upon strict performance of any of your obligations under these terms and conditions of website use, or if we fail to exercise any of the rights or remedies to which we are entitled under these terms and conditions of website use, this shall not constitute a waiver of such rights or remedies and shall not relieve you from compliance with such obligations.
- Severability and entire agreement
- If any term, condition or provision of these terms and conditions of website use is determined by any competent authority to be invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent, such term, condition or provision shall be severed from the remaining terms and conditions which will continue to be valid to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Notices to You
- We will communicate with you in English only. You agree that we may provide a notice to you by posting it on our site or emailing it to the email address provided by you to us.
- Notices to us
- You may only notify us in connection with any matter arising under these terms and conditions of website use, except where specified otherwise under these terms and conditions of website use, by emailing us at [INSERT EMAIL ADDRESS].
- Any notification shall be deemed to have been received by us on the expiry of a period of seventy two (72) hours. For the purposes of determining this period all weekends and public holidays in England shall be excluded.
- Jurisdiction and applicable law
The interpretation, construction, effect and enforceability of these terms and conditions of website use are governed by the laws of England and Wales and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales for the determination of disputes related thereto.